Sunday, October 10th was World Mental Health Day. The COVID-19 pandemic has really highlighted the need for understanding mental health in the workplace. Therefore, now more than ever, employees are seeking mental health resources and understanding from their employer.
As an employer, there are ways you can begin to support employee mental health:
- Promote Mental Health Awareness in the Office: open dialogues and reach out to managers or co-workers if they’re struggling. Don’t make these important conversations taboo.
- Offer Flexible Scheduling: without work-life balance, it can greatly affect employees’ mental health
- Address Workplace Stress: it won’t be possible to eliminate it all, but work with employees to manage stress effectively.
- Evaluate Benefit Offerings: ensure mental health services are being met with various vendors and coverage.
- Train Managers: work to eliminate the stigma around mental health and train managers to recognize the signs of mental illness, stress, fatigue, bullying.
Lastly, the mobile app, Headspace offers a checklist to continue the improvement around how leaders can create a supportive workplace, how to support your team’s wellbeing and how to stay centered and strong for yourself. Check out pages 12-13 for that important checklist.
Let’s continue the dialogue around mental health and show employees they matter and end the stigma!