According to their website, “Since 2012, Generations United has spearheaded an annual campaign to encourage all generations to Do Something Grand and engage with another generation on Grandparents Day. As our society opens back up, our theme this year is a question: How will you look at connecting generations differently this Grandparents Day?” While some may celebrate a happy grandparents day with another generation today, others may not.
Some interesting stats from the 2018 AARP National Survey:
- Since 2001, the number of grandparents has grown by 24 percent (56 million to 70 million). By age 65, almost all (96%) are grandparents.
- In 2030, one in every five residents will be age 65 — increasing the number of grandparents even more.
- The youngest grandparents are about 38 years of age, with the average age at first grandchild being 50 (an increase of two years since 2011).
- Most grandparents have, on average, four to five grandchildren, and, by 2030, more than 70 percent of the U.S. 8-year-olds will have a living great-grandparent.
- Grandparents spend an average of $2,562 annually on their grandchildren, totaling $179 billion per year.
- Over half of grandparents consider themselves a source of wisdom and provide a moral compass on issues such as education, morals, and values.
- Grandparents take care of their grandchildren by babysitting, with one in ten living in the same household with their grandchildren, and 5 percent of those being the primary caregiver.
- Distance is the biggest barrier to seeing grandchildren. Over half of grandparents have at least one grandchild who lives more than 200 miles away, and about a third live more than 50 miles from their closest grandchild.
A majority of grandparents agree that relationships with grandchildren nourish their mental and
social well-being, as well as their physical well-being.
2018 AARP Grandparents Today National Survey
The post Happy grandparents day, or is it? appeared first on Living Life Retired (LLR).
Original source: https://livingliferetired.com/grandparents-day-2/