Spouses who are covered by the Family SGLI program will convert their Spousal Coverage to an individual policy within 120 days of any of the following events:
Spouses that are protected by Family SGLI will switch to a commercial policy at regular premium rates without having to show evidence of good health. A permanent conversion policy, such as a whole-life policy, is required.
Certain types of plans, such as term, variable, or universal life insurance, are not permitted to be converted. Furthermore, supplementary insurance benefits including accidental death and dismemberment or premium waiver for disability are not included in the conversion policy.
If a spouse wants to convert their Spousal SGLI coverage, they must apply within 120 days of any of the events mentioned above, and they must also:
• Give the agent a copy of your most recent Leave & Earnings Statement (LES), which reveals the deduction for Spousal SGLI, as well as one of the following proofs of coverage:
1. The Servicemember's separation document (Form DD-214 or NGB-22, or written orders).
2. The Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage the spouse and the Servicemember.
3. The Servicemember's FSGLI Spousal declination (SOES Certificate of Coverage or Form SGLV-8286A).
4. The Servicemember's SGLI declination (SOES Certificate of Coverage or Form SGLV-8286).
5. The Servicemember's proof of death (Report of Casualty Form DD 1300 or civilian death certificate).